Cemeteries are the resting place for our ancestors. When Shimla began to grow and the European population increased, the need of Cemeteries was also felt. In the cemeteries of Shimla a large number of prominent citizens of Shimla are buried. Those who rally developed his town and took various steps to make it a town suitable for living. Perhaps they did not want to go away from here so died here and are buried here.
There were total five Cemeteries in Shimla out of which only one is in use. A number of descendants of many British who lived in Shimla, have already contacted us to find out their Family History. Just walk through these lanes and see some of the old houses and pass a suburb of Shimla where you have a chance to visit some of those who are resting in peace and the only hope for them are their descendants who sometime come to pay homage to their graves.
Another group of some old Shimla citizens lies in the middle of a dense cedar forest where the sun rays through the cedars’ branches pat them and keep them warm. Finish your walk near an old bridge that was the first step taken towards the improvement of the town, but stop, before that the oldest graveyard is also a part of your walk.
Your day while doing Cemetery Lanes will be like
- Kindly be ready at 9.30 am and our Guide will come to pick you up.
- You walk to the Ridge Ground, the starting point of the walk.
- The first visit is going to be the Sanjauli Cemetery that is approachable through Lakkar Bazaar and pass Snowdon Hospital.
- From here you walk along the road to the Private graveyard of the Nuns of Chalsea at Nav Bahar.
- The walk ends at the Mall road but before that a small and the oldest cemetery near Oakover is worth a visit.
- Walk to the Mall Road and the guide will recommend a suitable place for lunch / drink.
Nearly full day
Total Distance you walk
Price for 1 – 4 people traveling together is INR 2500/- and for Extra Person INR 500/- per person
Kids below 5 yrs are not liable for any kind of charge
The Above Cost includes
- A well conversed English Speaking Guide who holds a good knowledge this Walk.
- A Mineral Water bottle for everyone in the group
- Light snacks like Chocolates and Chips
The Above Cost does not includes
Though Lunch is Optional, it can be arranged (extra charges).
Vehicle will not be required to reach this walk.
We have compiled here few frequently asked questions for your reference
What is the total time taken to complete Cemetery Lanes Walk:
It takes nearly full day.
What are the timings?
10:00 AM to 03:00 PM
What is the starting meeting point?
We are meeting at Your Hotel Lobby in Shimla.
Please note in case you are staying at some hotel in Shimla that is out of the town, you will require a vehicle to reach the starting point of this Heritage Walk.
Is this package valid for the whole year?
This package is available throughout the year.
Any other things I need to take care?
Dress casually, carry a water bottle, wear sunglasses, and walking shoes. Do not forget to carry an umbrella and a raincoat during the monsoon.