Walk through Shimla's Heritage Zone
To know more about the rich history of Shimla you need to walk. Those who are interested in the Heritage of Shimla, this is the most interesting and attractive walk for them. The entire length of this Heritage walk comes under Shimla’s Heritage Zone.
There is no doubt that Shimla is a Walker’s Paradise. Every lane leads one to some history, every wall hides a story behind it, every house has a tale to tell and every tree here is a living witness to the town’s growth. The trails are protected by nature. Most of the lanes have been carved through the forests of lofty cedars, rattling oaks, blooming rhododendrons or whispering pines.
There are more Y-junctions than X-ings. Shimla is a walker’s paradise and can be known more if you walk. Those who are interested in the Heritage of Shimla, this is the most interesting and attractive walk for them. The entire length of this Heritage walk comes under Shimla’s Heritage Zone.
The most imposing and attractive structures which includes the Christ Church, the Gaiety Theatre, the Bandstand, some heritage hotels, old banks and government offices are the highlights of this walk. These are some of the best examples of British Architecture of the era and reveal history and various interesting stories of the glorious past. They will compel you to glance at them from every angle.
Your day while doing Pens & Brushes will be like
- It begins from the Christ Church, located at the western shoulder of Jakhu Hill – the highest hill of Shimla, and extends towards east till the Viceregal Lodge, now Indian Institute of Advanced Study.
- A number of old buildings such as Gaiety theatre, General Post Office, Bantony, Betink’s Castle, Imperial Bank, Railway Board Building, Gorton Castle, Knockdrin, Kennedy Cottage, Sanatorium, Cecil Hotel, Inverarm, and Viceregal Lodge keep your eyes wide open.
- We start at 10 am from the Christ Church and at a leisurely pace we proceed towards the western end of Shimla.
- Passing through many historical and Heritage buildings, each possessing a different style of architecture and holding many stories of the past, we stop for a break on the way.
- The walk ends at the building of former Viceregal Lodge now used as Indian Institute of Advanced Study, the highlight of the tour.
- Back to the hotel.
Note : The Heritage Walk shall not be conducted on Monday and on all other National Holidays.
Nearly full day
Total Distance you walk
Price for 1 – 4 people traveling together is INR 2500/- and for Extra Person INR 500/- per person
Kids below 5 yrs are not liable for any kind of charge
The Above Cost includes
Vehicle if required can be arranged (Innova Jeep @ Rs. 3000/- Approx.) per day on demand.
- A well conversed English Speaking Guide who holds a good knowledge on the Heritage Zone of Shimla
- A Mineral Water bottle for everyone in the group
- Light snacks like Chocolates and Chips
The Above Cost does not includes
Entry fee to the any of the Heritage Buildings which includes
Gaiety Theatre Rs. 10 (Indians), Rs. 25 (Foreigners) & Camera Fee Rs. 25
Viceregal Lodge Rs. 30 (Indians), Rs. 65 (Foreigners) &
(and No Cameras Usage is allowed here)
We have compiled here few frequently asked questions for your reference
What is the total time taken to complete Shimla Heritage Walk:
It takes nearly full day.
What are the timings?
10:00 AM to 03:00 PM
What is the starting meeting point?
We are meeting at Your Hotel Lobby in Shimla.
Please note in case you are staying at some hotel in Shimla that is out of the town, you will require a vehicle to reach the starting point of this Heritage Walk.
Is this package valid for the whole year?
This package is available throughout the year except Mondays, Holi, Deiwali, Independence Day (15th August) and on Republic Day (26th January).
Any other things I need to take care?
Dress casually, carry a water bottle, wear sunglasses, and walking shoes. Do not forget to carry an umbrella and a raincoat during the monsoon.